Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Blackberry Scones





Scones

1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups frozen blackberries

Glaze (optional)
2 tbsp milk
1/2 - 1 cup powdered sugar

Prep time: 20 minutes. Bake time: 10-15 minutes. Makes 16 scones.

Preheat the oven to 425.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and mix in with your hands - my favorite way to do this is to grab handfuls and squish them through my fingers, then rub my hands together. You should do this all your lumps are pretty tiny - no bigger than a pea.

In a separate bowl, combine milk, eggs and vanilla and whisk until frothy.

In a third bowl, toss frozen blackberries with the sugar to coat.

Add the berries in sugar to the flour mixture and toss to coat. Slowly add the egg mixture, stirring until the dough comes together. Reserve 1/4 cup of the egg mixture.

Turn half the dough onto a clean countertop and knead 10-12 times. This will be very cold and messy. It's all part of the fun. Place dough on a foil-covered baking sheet and press/pat into a circle. Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut into 8 wedges. Separate wedges, placing at least an inch apart. (This is also a bit messy.)

It occurs to me a spray of Pam might do well on the foil, but I haven't tried it.

Repeat with the rest of the dough. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. I recommend baking the trays one at a time.

While baking, make glaze by combining 1 Tbsp milk with 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Stir well. Add more sugar or milk until you reach your preferred consistency. I like mine as thick as possible while still drizzl-able. And I just made up a new word.

Let scones cool for a few minutes, then drizzle with icing and serve! These were so good that the first time I made them we ate them all.. and then I went back and made a second batch. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment