Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Getting Some Quiet Time




Ever feel frustrated? Annoyed? Impatient? Like you want to run off to Hawaii for 8 days and get massaged on the beach?

No? Must just be me. 

The best way I've found to combat those feelings is to set aside quiet time for myself each day to read my Bible and pray. I know it sounds cliche, but it is SO important. It's a time to re-charge, to be taken care of when the rest of your day is spent taking care of others. But finding time to spend alone is tough for anyone, whether your day is filled with work, toddlers or PTA.

For me, the best time for this is first thing in the morning. I love mornings. I love getting up early to read my Bible and relax and reflect before the kids wake up and demand food. I love sunrises.

But let's face it, getting up early is hard. Even morning people like me have a hard time after a short night filled with feedings and bad dreams. (The kids', not mine.) I find I need an extra incentive to get up in the morning, and I found it in my Keurig. I do love my Keurig.

The trouble is, that even with the lure of coffee pulling me out of bed, I can't get any alone time in the morning because my kids have mommy radar. As soon as I leave my room, they pick up the signal. Within minutes, the kitchen is filled with sleepy, hungry little faces.

So I came up with a plan. I brought my Keurig into my room, along with a supply of creamer, cups and spoons. (We picked up a little mini-fridge in the scratch and dent section of Lowes. Find them on Craigslist or at garage sales, too.) At night I set up my Bible, my coffee and a blanket on a cozy chair.

In the morning, I roll out of bed, walk a few steps to my 'sanctuary' and cuddle in. My coffee brews, I wrap myself in the blanket and crack open the Word.

There's no searching for my Bible. No noise in the kitchen from the coffee preparing. No little ones sense my alertness and come to drag me downstairs and make them pancakes.

Just serenity and the presence of God in the morning.

For a few minutes at least.

2 comments:

  1. Very good idea. I can just picture you with your little fridge and coffemaker. Very nice ;)

    I am visiting from WFMW. Glad to "meet" you. I hope you and your family have a blessed week!

    Long Wait For Isabella

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote about quiet early mornings today and my beloved coffeemaker, too! Your idea is just *brilliant*. Brilliant, I say!!!

    ReplyDelete