Wednesday, March 23, 2011

We're a real blog!



This is my 100th post! We're a real blog!

In honor of this momentous occasion, I thought I'd regal you with the story of how I came to be a blogger. I started this blog way back in January of 2009 as a way to keep a journal. I've always wanted to keep a daily journal, but I'm terrible at it. I thought maybe I'd enjoy it more if I were typing instead of writing (I type much faster than I write). It didn't work, though. I managed 5 posts, then I fell off the wagon.

18 months later I remembered I had a blog. I thought it might be a good way to share photos and such with my extended family, all of whom live far away. So in the summer of 2010 I started posting a few pictures and stories about what our family was doing.

Around this time The Amazing Husband suggested I start a REAL blog. I think I said something like, "Oh, sure, how narcissistic is that." Which wasn't very nice. Especially since my husband has a real blog. But, I thought, his is for professionals. It isn't just him writing about his daily life. Who would want to read about me? I'm not a celebrity or anything. Right?

Of course, at the time I didn't really know what blogging was. Then a friend recommended a blog to me called "Money Saving Mom". Because I was trying to save money. And I'm a mom. And I loved it. And from that blog I was introduced to The Four Moms. And I love them. And then I found more. And more. There are thousands of blogs out there! The blogs I read make my life better. I laugh. I cry. I learn to be a better mom and wife and Christ follower.

I began to see that blogging was a community. I didn't think the folks whose blogs I follow were conceited or self-absorbed. I was so glad they'd chosen to open up and share their lives with others. I began to think I might have something to contribute to this community. I still wasn't sure anyone would want to read about me, but I started posting.

Since then, views of the blog have gone up each month. A lot. That's exciting and gratifying, but also humbling. I now hear sometimes from women I know that they read my blog and are encouraged or humored. That makes me feel good, too. But it also makes me stop and think.

So. This has become a real blog. Thank you for reading it. I promise to do my best to be encouraging, and honest, and to share the (small amount) of experience I have if you'll promise to join in the conversation. This blog will be best if it's a place where we can share with and learn from each other. I'm having a lot of fun with this, and while I'm not sure how far it'll go, I'm happy to follow it to wherever it leads.

So what do you think? What do you want to talk about? Do you have questions? Comments? Want to share something? 


P.S. One of the great things about blogging is that everyone has something to contribute. If you've been thinking about starting a blog, go for it.  You might not be the next big thing, you may not get paid to do it, but you'll be joining the conversation. And who knows? You can only make the blogosphere better!


No comments:

Post a Comment