Thursday, January 27, 2011

This and That




Right now, I'm sitting at the computer, listening to my children (the older 3) in the next room playing "Headbanz" for their free time. Can I just say, this might be the best entertainment I've had in a long while. 


Some snippets:

Owain: "You belong in the kitchen." Alese: "Am I french fries?"

"Sometimes you're crispy."

"You're not a Sith."

Hysterical laughter. "But if I'm not a banana what else could I be?!" More hysterical laughter.

 *   *   *   *   *

Yesterday I commented on a comment over at Heavenly Homemakers. I shouldn't have, I suppose. I should have just kept my mouth shut, but I can't ever seem to do that, you know? And then, this morning, there in my inbox was a reply to my reply. And boy did it get my blood boiling. The post was on modesty. Someone had commented that they felt we should have the right to get up and move if the person sitting next to us in church was dressed inappropriately. This was my reply:

It seems to me that our primary purpose in life is to win others to Christ. So, if I'm in church and a (possibly unbelieving) woman sits next to me in a skimpy dress, I might feel uncomfortable but I should push through that discomfort and do what I can to make her feel welcome in my church. I want her to feel like she can come just as she is, so that as she sits under the teaching and through the worship, God might change her heart. I might, however, discreetly and gently let her know that her dress isn't appropriate, after I'd made an effort at a relationship with her.

Here is the new reply:

Your post leads me to think that you might believe that a woman dressed less demurely thatn yourself you may think she isn't a christian....yet another thing that Jesus woulsn't do...judge..I'm so glad my church isn't like yours...we go to worship not judge..


Wow. I mean, wow. And boy did I want to comment back. I mean, I really, really wanted to. But I didn't, because that wouldn't have helped anything. But I sure wanted people to know that I'm not judging.. so I figured I'd tell you all. You know I'm not a meanie, don't you? 

*   *   *   *   *  

It's been just a few days shy of a month since we arrived in California, and life is still not quite back to routine. I should probably be more patient and understanding of this, since there are 7 of us in a new home in a new city, but I'm really irked about it. 

I want schedules and routines. I want a clean and tidy house. I want to know where the park is. I want to get through a day of school before dinner time and without skipping any subjects. (Latin isn't that important, is it?) 

Sigh. I know it will all come together, but I sure wish it would hurry up. 

In the meanwhile we've all been having a wonderful time playing together. Surprisingly, with no friends close by the kids have become best buds, and the bickering has gone down considerably. And we are making new friends, just in case you're worried about their socialization. 




2 comments:

  1. Where abouts in Corona are you. I have two little ones (not mine, I just live with them) that would love a play date with any one other then eachother. Also I can point you to all the "best" places near by :)
    Also your not mean an any way. Your comment wasnt mean or judgy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :) I'd love to get together, how can I get in touch with you so that the whole blogosphere can't see my address?

    ReplyDelete